Stephan, Milen,

lately Galaxy undergoes DB migrations very rarely and if so it usually just
adds tables/columns in a very clear manner.

API should shield you from any changes breaking your DB script but to be
honest I would not expect any unless you are gathering data on some complex
object relations (which API won't give you anyways).

Best,

Martin