Hi Jochen,

If you are using release_17.05, that should be using (bio)conda
for dependencies:

https://docs.galaxyproject.org/en/latest/admin/conda_faq.html

"The short answer is that as of 17.01, Galaxy should install Conda
the first time it starts up and be configured to use it by default."

The Galaxy administration screen should let you review if you
have got ballgown itself installed like this, or not.

You didn't confirm which Ballgown you were trying to use in
Galaxy. Is it this version from Theo Collard:

https://toolshed.g2.bx.psu.edu/view/theo.collard/ballgown_wrapper/05977e96375b

If so, this appears to be where he develops it on GitHub, you
could file an issue there:

https://github.com/CollardT/Ballgown-Wrapper

Peter