> I am not saying people should charge for tutorials, I am saying that it
> would not be unreasonable if they did. Benoit has done a momentous amount
> of work in creating Gambas.  ANd Richard's idea about annodated code is a
> great one- except for one flaw.
>
> That flaw is for the beginner without a systematic method of learning the
> language the odds are stacked against him /her.
>
> But like I said earlier why not have both?
>
> SOme people can see an example and go OH that's how it works- and others
> need more help.  Good example: Algebra why can't kids just look at the
> example and understand it?   Even when the example has comments the
> children have a hard time following- but with guided instruction and guided
> questions and answers then child is more likely to understand the math.
>
> Same works for adults not everyone does well solo with a textbook.
>
> Plus another problem is when people just cut and paste code without knowing
> what all the code is for becuase they are told it does x but in reality it
> does xyz.
>
> As far as more work for Benoit I am trying to come up with a way to lighten
> the load. :)
>
> I rreally do understand what you are saying, but I think people are
> thinking I a looking to replace a current method.  I am not I want to
> another resource to the same methods. For the dummies like my self.
>
> JB
>
> charlesg wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As one of the great unwashed (i.e. less proficient) Gambas users, I must
> > say that I prefer Richards approach using annotated code examples at a
> > simple level. I don't really feel comfortable with the idea of a paid-for
> > tutorial system and feel that 'we' as a user base should freely
> > contribute to the project. There is no chance of us ever equaling the
> > stupendous contribution of Benoit and to consider charging for any
> > contribution that we make is, I feel, not in the spirit of Gambas.
> >
> > I wrote a small intro tutorial to Gambas which features quite well on a
> > Google search. I put it on a Wordpress blog so that I could get some
> > stats. It is currently viewed about 300 times a month.
> >
> > Benoit has also kindly used a program of mine as a Gambas example. The
> > examples in Gambas could be extended with a beginners section although I
> > could see this ending up as being yet more work for Benoit.
> >
> > rgds

Would it be possible to have both solutions? I mean:

1) A web site to enter well-commented and well-written pieces of code, tagged
so that searching is easy.

2) An http interface so that the IDE can use these pieces of code as project
examples automatically.

We must have two types of examples. A full Gambas project that will be used as
is by the IDE, or a little piece of code inside one Form, or a Module. Then
the IDE will create a temporary project to open it.

Guys, what do you think about that?

--
Benoît