From Dima Malkov:

> > I want to run my gambas2-application from USB-FLASH-DISK on the
> > computers, that do not have gambas2 installed.
> >
> > There is a folder on my USB-FLASH-DISK with my application and
> > subfolders:
> > 1) "bin", includes files "gba2", "gbc2", "gbi2", "gbx2", soft links;
> > 2) "lib", includes files "*.so.0.0.0", "*.component", "*.gambas", soft
> > links;
> > 3) "share", includes "icons/*.png", "info/*" (strange files),
> > "mime/*.xml".
> > It also includes bash-script for copying all above to system
> > folders /usr/bin/, /usr/lib/ and /usr/share.
> >
> > Can I run my application with just some command, without copying?
>
> Alas the interpreter relies on the /usr/bin/gbx2(or 3) symbolic link to
>  know where Gambas is installed, so you cannot run gambas from a USB disk.
>
> But we can imagine an environmental variable that tells where Gambas is
> installed, without relying on a symbolic link. This will solve the first
> problem.
>
> But now you must have all shared libraries directly or indirectly used by
> Gambas on your USB disk, which may be huge. To know them, you must run
>  "ldd" on each shared library of each component used by your project.
>
> And you won't be able to run Gambas executables directly as they find the
> interpreter with "#!/usr/bin/env gbr2", but by changing the PATH variable
>  so that the gbr2 symbolic link on the USB disk is found first, it will
>  run!
>
> I will tell you when I make the environmental variable change. His name
>  will be something like GB_DIR, or GB_ROOT.

With the revision #2401, you can define a GB_DIR environment variable that
points at the Gambas installation directory.

With that, you should be able to run Gambas from your USB key, provided that
the destination O.S. has all the needed shared libraries installed.

You can put all the needed shared libraries on the USB key too, and run Gambas
completely, by using the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.

Benoît Minisini