2009/12/5 John <kb2...@optonline.net>:

> I can make a Windows box sing.

I tend to agree with Emil, lots of searching and reading on google is
advised, but temper it with your own knowledge - some of the stuff out
there is just downright wrong. I was a Windows developer and have
decades of experience with it. I learned linux and gambas by trial and
error and I am still learning by trial and error to this day.

This weekend alone I installed no less than six linux distros; Arch,
Gentoo, Sabayon, kubuntu and Mandriva (can't remember the sixth), only
to learn that I should have stayed with Ubuntu :)

Ok, I learned something else too in the process. I can install qt4 on
Ubuntu and have gambas create lovely qt-based apps instead of being
forced to use the awful GTK engine. Yes, I could have just used
kubuntu but KDE is really bloody ugly and overly complex IMO :)

Anyway, that said, google, persevere and ask when you're truly stuck.
There is certain je ne sais quoi about discovering for oneself what is
probably common knowledge amongst the gurus.