> You are right with the fact that the compiler should issue a warning. But
> it
> cannot know everytime that the called function needs a ByRef, as soon as
> the
> function is in another class. Maybe I should have allowed ByRef in private
> functions only...

OK, I understand.
Maybe there should be something like splint for Gambas.
In case of someone doesn't know what splint is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splint_%28programming_tool%29
Good job for community...

> Now about using ByRef to return more than one value: I usually return an
> array. But I admit it is less practical. You can return a structure too, or
> class used like a structure (with public variables only).

I think I go with the array solution, though I was hoping for something more
elegant.

Thanks,
Jussi