On 03/20/2012 09:14 AM, Mathias wrote:
> Me neither, I never use Windows/Mac.
> It's not really for us. More for the users we develop for.
> It would be nice if we could distribute our app to 95% of all computerusers,
> instead of 2%.

At one time I did care, to the point where I developed an app in tcl/tk
and used a Windows wrapper so it could run without installation on
Windows. Some Windows user didn't think that looked native enough, and
ported my code to some free BASIC interpreter under Windows.

But I write free software, and my incentives are scratching my own
itches (in which case Linux-only is fine), scratching my clients' itches
(which has been nothing but web apps and a couple mobile apps in the
last 6 years, and that's after completing several big Gambas desktop
projects), or gaining recognition (in which case I'd be better off doing
Rails, targeting Android or using some other environment that ignorant
people with money don't look at, snort and go "BASIC? Hah!").

So while I've donated server space, bandwidth, and even the occasional
poor code to Gambas for about a decade, I wouldn't donate money to hire
a Windows or Mac coder so that developers who'd rather target users of
proprietary operating systems could do so. I wouldn't object to a port,
just see no need to pay for it.

> As I said before: I'm not proposing to port Gambas to Windows, only the
> interpreter.

You don't need a GUI? Someone did get the Gambas 1.x interpreter ported,
if I remember correctly, but porting gb.qt (at the time gb.gtk wasn't
mature) was problematic due to Windows having no X server. So it would
run command-line "hello world" type stuff but that was about it.

Rob