Just an update.

This works really well.  Thanks Tobi for help in crystallising where I was
trying to go with this.
So far (I am only working on this part-time - it's a non-income earner but it
will save so much time and effort in the future) I have a robust solution for
fully-autonomous pop-ups (ones that are fully independent of the application
project e.g. "System Information") and quasi-autonomous popups (ones that get
information on the application project out of the executable archive e.g.
"About Me"). Converting our existing popup components into virtual menu items
now takes only a few minutes per component - add a wrapper class that inherits
the VMenuItem class, set a few properties, compile and install.
I am now working on the best way to handle popup forms that rely on or interact
with the dynamic data in the application project. Say a general "EditClient"
popup that would be made available in "OrderEntry" or "Invoice" application
projects where I want to pass the current Client object to the editor popup and
have the application client's object automatically update and refresh when the
popup is "Saved".  I have a couple of prototypes of different ways to handle
this and a few more ideas.  Will decide on the best way after a bit more work.
Should this work (or when it works) opens up this concept to a wider approach
that not only handles what I am now calling "virtual menu items" but also
"virtual toolbuttons", and other virtual controls (in the above examplpe, think
of a client name buttonbox that handles the entire edit processing within
itself, no code needed in the application project).

Another idea is to use this approach to provide entire "standard" menus by
dragging a virtual control onto a form.  This would include, say,
File|Edit|View|Tools|Help and all the associated submenus. Just drag the
VStandardMenu virtual control onto the form - no need to build these menus via
the IDE each time....

rgrds
Bruce

--