Hi Shaun,
I suppose you are corect the lever isn't exactly a secret, but it is
quite a bit different than what you expect to find.  Everyone playing
SOD for the first time and find that lever are expecting an elivator and
not a lever.
As for level editors David Greenwood has explained the reasons for not
supplying one. The GMA Engine wasn't design for end user scripting in
mind after the games were written.
Quite frankly in my opinion some games are better with scripting and
level editors, and others are not. Lonewolf is obviously a good style
for level editing, but SOD honestly is not a good style to do it on.
Generally, speaking a game with scripting is usually free style play
meaning that each mission is it's own adventure, and that each mission
is stand alone. Games without scripting and level editing are fixed in
to a story, and by altering the game with scripting the story is changed.