Hi Jim,
I wasn't suggesting that the card's actual function be changed.
Obviously, the card would have to conform to a specific set of rules.
Let say we have card 5 and it says pay each player $50. That function
can't be changed, because monopoly games have that card, but they read a
little different.

In one monopoly game it might say
"Make investments pay each player $50"
In another it might say
"Build an army pay each player $50"

In a Star Wars game a card could read
"Attacked by Storm Troopers pay $50 for each hut, and $100 for each base."
In the Lord of the Rings game it could read
"Attacked by Orks pay $50 for each castle, and $100 for each Fortress."

You can clearly see how the function of the card is not changed, but is
rewritten to be more like the actual game.
What you would really be looking for is what number of card comes up,
and it would read in the text from the card from the file. Hopefully,
the end user kept the card text the same as the function of the card.