Hi Richard,
You can make internet playable games with C++, C#, and Visual Basic. The
library that gives you all the majic is DirectX DirectPlay in Windows.
In Linux SDL does have some kind of Network API which allows for online
gaming, but never looked in to it much.
If Java was your language I think the NIO.jar lib would be the place to
work on networked gaming.
In short most languages have a way to do it. Just a matter of using the
right tool for the job.