Hi Phil,
Good point. Although, one solution might be is to have one popular and
one less known ship for each class featured in the game. That way a
player has the option for playing the popular ships or playing something
less known. However, you are right in the end the only major differences
between each ship of the class is a name unless I put in some kind of
extra advantage/disadvantage for them.
As for the TNG DS9 timeframe that seams to be what I gravitate twards,
also has to be where my personal interests lie. It also cuts down on
complications of having to load say 23rd century effects when most of
the 24th century effects are similar between \TNG, DS9, and Voyager.
What I am thinking currently is like a GTC type setup where you have x
number of missions to complete and once asigned a ship and crew you set
out on your way to complete a series of missions. With that kind of
mission setup it would be logical to pick a general time frame for the
game wile at the same time having a wide range of different missions.