My knowledge of programming is out of date, but it would seem to me
that if you write the car AI properly, the number of cars ought to be
only limited by the power of the playing machine, as each AI is just
using the same chunk of code, loaded into n virtual machines or
objects, each of which is polled during a cycle of race time.  I
don't see why n+1 cars is more work for you than N cars, except in
the matter of optimizing your code. to deal with the variety of
machines that will be playing this game.

The problem becomes more difficult when you have more than one player
as while the object model should still work (have the player object
inherit most properties from the general car object with additional
routines to handle player input), that input will make optimizing for
smallest memory demand more difficult.  This would affect online play
or network play more than solo play.

        Christopher Bartlett