Hi Cara,
DirectX DirectPlay is basically still there for backward compatibility
with older games that still are based on it. Personally, I don't know
what Microsoft's problem is with it, but they apparently are ditching
DirectPlay in DirectX 10 for Vista.
Anyway, the modern approach to working with networked games is using the
standard Windows Winsock.dll API which ships with all versions of Windows.
Hth.