Hi Richard,
Never heard that one before, but that sounds like truth. Smile.
On Star Trek they often use a variety of craft in engagements.
Especially in the Dominion War they had several classes represented at
the mager engagements. Each kind of ship has it's own strengths and
weaknesses.
The Excelsior class seams to be mass produced since we saw them in every
TNG series except Enterprise of course. TheAmbassidor class has been
seen around as well, and the Galaxy-Class seams quite uncommon for TNG
and DS9.Although 12 ships of the Galaxy-class are assumed to have been
built by the end of the Dominion War. Of course, I don't know how many
of those 12 were destroyed. Yamato was destroyed during TNG, Enterprise
D in Generations, and on DS9 Odyssey, Venture, and a couple of others
bit the dust.
During the TNG engagement at the battle of Wolf-359 from what I have
best gathered the 40 ship taskforce was comprised of Constitution,
excelcior, and Ambassidor ships which were all lost Well, most of them
as Excalibur according to later TNG epasodes state she was in drie-dock
for repairs/upgrades do to the Borg invasion, and a Voyager epasode had
Janeway and the crew discover former members of Excalibur's crew  who
had been assymalated at Wolf-359. Excalibur went on to appear in a DS9
epasode against the Dominion.