Hi Alisan.

I actually know sryth very well. Back in 2004 when it was just a free game, before there was any commercial signup I was very much a fan and played endlessly, I was even 2nd on the leaderboards for a couple of years, but in 2009 I pretty much abandoned I pretty much abandoned sryth for exactly the reason you mention, it just seemed the gm was bumping up difficulty unreasonably and requiring massive donationsto perchice the higher level weapons to complete standard adventures, not to mention all the lotteries, timed events, stat grinding etc, it frankly seemed the gm just got reedy to me and his writing suffered.

There are lots of online games kicking around, for more details see the games to play online page over at www.whitestick.co.uk.

Many games however get a bit grindy aand are lacking in the text or have very quick battles.

In particular I'd advise trying puppet nightmares, which has a fantastic battle system and a very interesting story, plus you control and take charge of pokemon like weerd surreal creatures making it also a creature game, and core exiles, a fantastic and very different story driven space adventure. That one has many stratogy elements, but also lots of sapce to explore and missions to do.

Warriors 2 is also fun, especially with the random adventure system, though in that game unfortunately battles are all automatic, and I'd also recommend metroplexities, a cyberpunk style rpg game set in a distopian future. kingdom of loathing is good for comedy value, though unfortunately I've found the dayly adventure limit in that game a bit too strenuous, and while I enjoy the humour I don't find the story has me come back for more as much.

I would also recommend looking at whitestick's online gamebooks page. these are interactive stories, but with full rpg mechanics, some requiring rolling of dice. In particular age of fable and those on the fighting fantasy project webiste are worth a look.

hth.

Hth.

Beware the grue!