Hi tom.

I agree on the horror front, though I was also reading books by steven king and even Clive barker at age 12 and 13 as well. It wasn't that my parents weren't bothered what I read, it was more that they knew I was old enough to take that sort of thing appropriately.

what Concerns me often however with both game and film ratings is that they are frequently worked out on very silly points. For example, I know at one stage the difference betwene a 12 and a pg was that in a 12, you could actually show a fist connecting with someone. this meant that in a pg you could show someone throwing a punch, and someone else falling down knocked back by the blow, but just as long as you avoided that moment of impact it was okay. This was how the original street fighter live action film (the very horrible one with raul julian), got to be a pg.

Similar distinctions are made for many other things, indeed it has always bothered me that you can legitimately show a child someone getting tortured, even tortured into the point of sobbing insensativity and yet not hit over the ratings so long as there is no blood. This happens in original V the final battle, there is a really horrendous torture sequence just! using laser beams and metanl projections of one of the main characters, who is! broken by it, yet that episode is a 12 rated.

Myself, I'd prefer a system rated not on blood and guts, but on actual intentional harm caused. Thus, something like gta would still be a 16 rating because your doing immoral actions in the game, while something like swamp I'd regard as more an advisery over 10 rating since you were dealing with painfull death by zombies, but not much else.

As to s/xual stuff, well that is just not something I can make a rational judgement about in games or anywhere else so I can't really comment on that.

Beware the Grue!