Hi Dark,

Sure. Scary sounds can be just as disturbing as blood, guts, and gore.
Sometimes more so. However, it all depends on the person of course.

I can't really judge myself as an example, because when I grew up my
parents didn't really put a lot of restriction on what I watched. As a
result by the time I was 10 or so I had watched Night of the Living
Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Halloween, Poltergeist, Friday the 13th,
Nightmare on Elm Street, and a number of other horror movies that were
suppose to be for adults and they didn't really bother me much. I
think the only movie that did give me nightmares was Night of the
Living Dead, but eventually I got over the fear that any time I went
into a graveyard a dead hand would pop up out of a ground and grab me
or something. Lol.

Anyway, the point is I realize I was a bit unusual and a lot of that
has to do with the fact I was exposed to horror movies as a child and
I learned to not let it bother me. In fact, I went on to read books by
Stephen King, Dean Koontz, and similar authors as a teenager because I
found I enjoyed spooky and disturbing stories. However, I have known
many young women and even some guys who won't watch a horror movie
with me or read a good horror novel because they claim it freaks them
out. So it really all depends on the person.

Getting back to the issue of games that is why it is sometimes hard to
put an age restriction on a game. That is why the rating system that
the mainstream market uses is really only a recommendation. Everyone
is generally considered to be family safe games such as football,
baseball, Trivia games, and so on. Teen contains some violence and may
have some profanity in the dialog that is considered unsuitable for
youngsters. Mature is any game that has adult scenes or adult
situations such as nudity, sexuality, or scenes of blood, guts, and
gore. Over all I'd say the rating system is reasonable in its
assessment and right now is the best system available for an audio
game developer to judge weather or not a certain game like Shades of
Doom is age appropriate for a child. Based on the existing rating
system I'd give it a teen rating because of the violence and sound
effects.

Cheers!