Hi charlse.

I'm not sure about a none rpg lotr game simply because of the subject matter. yes, there are now brawlers and other games based on the films, but those are heavily based around the battle sequences which peter jaxon heavily extended, indeed the battle of the hornburg in the two towers (or the battle of helms deep as most film fans know it), takes a grand total of ten pages in the entire book, does not feature the elves, and is over relatively quickly, particularly considdering that in the book only the fighting force of the rohirim was at the hornburg, not everyone else (theoden really comes across as an idiot in the films).

Anyway, if we get on to film/book differences I could be hear all day, my point is that most of the games based on lotr that are not! rpgs are pretty battle exclusivee and thus really just fairly standard games as games go just with a lotr flavour.

Myself, I'd like to see either A, a full on exploration rpg that let you walk the really large world of middle earth, or B, a strategic game set in the eldadays similar to castaways in which you could play either the first elves, dwarves, dunedain or easterlings and have to forge a home in the world under the depradations of Morgoth's creatures.

Indeed that could be especially interesting since significant events, particularly the creation of the sun and moon, the return of the Noldor to middle earth and the war of wrath could have an affect on your settlement.

the best lotr game I've played recently is the rpg adventure for the eamon system Thror's ring, written by Tom zuchowski, since the writting, the puzzles, the combat everything just really worked! to give you a good impression of Moria. i've also played a good few more by Sam Ruby (one of the most famous eamon rpg authors), and while those were lots of fun, some were simply combat fests and skimped a little on the description in some places which was a trifle disappointing.

Still, if you want a good accessible rp game of lotr, I'd advise Eamon deluxe.

Beware the Grue!¬