Bryan,

I think most people are very, very confused about what it costs to
create games.  Tools cost nothing, unless you're buying something very
specific.  A reliable distribution website for releasing all your
stuff can be had for twenty dollars a month.  Paypal accounts are
free.  The only expensive part of the whole process is time and hard
work.

If your game isn't pure text and you need audio clips, try recording
your own.  The AA dclient sounds were recorded almost entirely with
home gear, with a few public domain sounds thrown in.  Once you get
the hang of it, they go pretty quick.

These things take time, but they build incrementally from very simple
parts.  Alter Aeon literally started one cold alaska night in 1995
with an empty text editor, and I typed by hand the first line of code,
'void main() {' into a file named mud.c.  There was no gui.  There
were no mouse controls.  The compiler was so bad that I eventually
wrote my own memory allocator and filesystem I/O layer.  None of these
problems exist today.  You couldn't ask for an easier, cheaper time to
be alive and write games than now.

The point is that it can be done on the cheap, and those cheap to make
games can still be incredibly good - good enough to actually sell
copies, if that's your goal.  Good luck!

Dennis Towne

Alter Aeon MUD
http://www.alteraeon.com