  From: Dennis Towne
  To: Gamers Discussion list
  Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:24 PM
  Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Piracy rate?

  There have been a number of developers who have tracked piracy rates
  in various ways, and the numbers I have are more from the mainstream
  and sighted indy game scene.  It's not that everyone is an elite
  hacker, it's more that one or two elite hackers can produce a download
  that works for everyone with a single click.  Once that download is
  out there, people share it.  "Hey man, can you skype me that
  download?"

  As for prosecuting people, it costs more than it's worth, so nobody
  does it.  Look at the MPAA and the record companies - they've tried
  making an example of downloaders, and it hasn't stopped music sharing
  If anything, it's just made them look bad.  Suing your players will
  just make your players hate you.

  This is why I won't bother to produce any standalone games unless I
  intend to give them away.  Anyone who thinks they can sell standalone
  games without strong 'phone home' server authorization and make money
  is fooling themselves.