Sent: Monday, May 20, 2013 1:18 AM
To: 'Gamers Discussion list'
Subject: [Audyssey] A See Munkey in my house!

Hi everyone,
Most of you may remember reading a thread a few weeks ago about the See
Munkey, a revolutionary new 3D motion tracking headset that Aprone is
designing and coding for use in upcoming game titles. I received my headset
in the mail yesterday, and I am amazed beyond comprehension at what Jeremy
has put together.
First, let me say, as people start firing up their spell checkers and
splitting the subject lines, See Munkey is not spelled like the packets of
brine shrimp we used to get as kids. It's "see" as in to understand or to
take in visually, and "monkey" like the animal only spelled with a "U"
instead. See Munkey.
And now to the amazingness!
There were two pieces of gear in my See Munkey box: a reinforced headband
and a small rubberized box fitted with a clip and trailing a USB cord. The
rubberized box is the actual See Munkey. It's designed to clip onto the top
of your headphones if they run across your head. If you wear ear buds, or if
your headset, like mine, wraps around the back of your head, you clip the
box to the headband and slip that on over the top of your head. The See
Munkey is designed to sit on top of your head in order to track your
movements.
The See Munkey currently tracks your head on 3 major planes:
*Horizontal rotation: turning your head side to side, called yaw
*Vertical rotation: nodding your head up and down, called pitch
*tilt: tilting your head side to side and stretching out your neck, called
roll
The software is still being developed, but it was amazing to see it in
action; I'm practically drooling to play with it more, but I want to put
this email out there first to give Aprone the credit he so richly deserves.
I downloaded a mapper program to calibrate the headset to my particular
movements. Once the mapper is launched, you move your head through a series
of gestures and press letters to teach the program about yourself. The more
times you perform these gestures, the more the mapper learns about your
movements and the smoother it translates your gestures into actions.
Currently the See Munkey supports playing in Swamp as a means of turning
your character, but this will change very shortly.
But it using it to play Swamp, I've already seen the true genius the See
Munkey is going to be.
I was walking through the abandoned hospital today, one hand on my keyboard,
the other on my mouse, and I heard a zombie in my left ear. Instead of
moving my mouse so my character was facing him, I simply looked at him. I
mean I quite literally turned my head to face the noise and looked directly
at the zombie. As I turned my head, the sound panned with my movement until
I was staring the zombie square in his rotting face. It was the easiest
thing in the world to pull the trigger.
You will not truly be able to appreciate the amazing ground the See Munkey
is not only going to break, but shatter, until you get your hands on
one--and you must get your hands on one. My understanding is that the
devices, once commercially available, will retail for $50 plus shipping, and
they will be worth every penny. If you don't have $50, save your pennies,
ask a friend, or mortgage Vermont Avenue. This is something you truly must
experience.
Aprone, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
And now, zombies.
Ryan