Hi Jim,

That's for sure. Not being able to review the screen and check the
spelling of words would be a major setback to any text adventure that
primarily uses Sapi etc for speech output. In fact, I have that exact
problem with Winfrotz and NVDA.

I can turn on Sapi in Winfrotz which works fine for basic reading of
in-game text and entering prompts, but if I want to review the
spelling of some word or other its a pain to get NVDA to focus on the
text window, find the word I want,
and then type it into the interpreter. However, at least it is
possible to look for the spelling of the word I want the correct
spelling for. A game purely based on Sapi would be impossible unless
the person playing was a good speller, and sad to say many blind
gamers are not. So a menu in that situation would definitely be a big
help.

Anyway, being able to examine anything and everything to find out what
is important is fun at first, but as you say gets old in a hurry.
Especially, since I only began playing text adventures after I went
blind. Before that I was use to fast paced action games where the
action is relatively constant, and text adventures are rather slow in
comparison because you end up having to examine the desk, ceiling,
floor, the door, the windows, etc which may or may not reveal anything
useful to your quest. So I use to get pretty tired of that in a hurry.