Hi Charles,

Yes, I fully recognize upgrading is expensive, but if a person sets
aside a little money for Windows upgrades, a new computer, Jaws
updates, etc they would be investing in their own future. I think this
is more an issue of planning ahead rather than trying to come up with
all the money at once.

What you say about free screen readers is untrue though. NVDA 2013.2
is actually superior to Jaws 14 and works much better than Jaws on
Windows 8. I've actually already tested NVDA 2013.2 on Windows 8.1
beta, and it works fine. If someone were willing to throw their old
expensive screen reader away and try something new such as NVDA they
would find that upgrading to Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 is less
expensive right there..

As far as the learning curve that is problematic for some. Probably
more for some rather than others. I am a power user and can sit down
and use anything without much experience with it, and can quickly
adapt to new user interfaces and Windows 8, for instance, didn't throw
me as much as some. However, I have met more than my share of people
who got new computers with Windows 8 on it and didn't know what to do.
So I can see how the learning curve might be a concern for some
people, but there are tutorials etc out there that should help in that
regard. I don't think anything is impossible if someone puts their
minds to it which is really the problem.

I don't think a lot of people really have the motivation or desire to
upgrade, learn something new, so when they get a new operating system
they freeze up and mentally trip out because they don't want to start
over from scratch feeling like a newbie again. Windows 8 of course is
really different from XP, and I can see how the ribbons, tiled
screens, etc are a bit of a shock for some, but its not hard once you
take a little time to figure it out. Its all a matter of sitting down
and taking some time to learn it.