Hi Josh,

Well said, and I feel much the way you do. If I can support XP without
seriously crippling my ability to directly support newer operating
systems like Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 no problem. However, if
there is a doubt between say better 3d audio with XAudio2 on Windows
7/8 then of course that is what I will do because even though the
majority may still be using XP sooner or later those XP users will
have to upgrade or simply get left behind. No sense crippling new
software because certain people either can't or simply don't want to
upgrade.

What is truly ironic about this situation is I've seen it all before
from this community time and time again. Back when people were running
MS Dos 6.2 and Jaws for Dos and Windows 3.1 came out many blind people
didn't want to run Windows. Well, back then they had a choice because
a lot of the Dos stuff was still viable, but when Windows 95 came out
the die-hard Dos users said they'd never upgrade to Windows 95. Turns
out eventually they did anyway despite their protestations to the
contrary. Next thing you know everyone eventually upgraded to Windows
98, and many people said Windows 98 was fine for them. So when XP came
out in 2001, the very OS people say that they now can't live without,
the 98 users said they'd never ever upgrade to XP. XP is crap, trash,
etc. Well, something must have happened to change their minds because
many of those Windows 98 users can't give up XP despite all their
protestations that they would not upgrade etc. Are we seeing a pattern
here?

Maybe some users here have short term memories, but I certainly don't.
I can sit back and laugh about the arguments people are making about
Windows 8 because it is the very same kinds of arguments Dos users
made about Windows 95, 98 users said about XP, and so on. There would
be a lot of complaints, bitching, moaning, and groaning for a few
years, but eventually they'd end up buying a new computer with said OS
on it and the argument eventually died out of lack of die-hard
supporters. The only major difference now is there are so many XP
users out there with working computers that it may take a little
longer for all of them to upgrade, but make no mistake about it they
will change or not have a computer to use in a few years. As the
Rolling Stones said, "time is on my side."

Cheers!