Hi Scott,

Truthfully, I am no expert on making and mixing music on Linux, but it
doesn't mean it can't be done. There is a program called Rose Garden
that is suppose to be mostly accessible that can do this, but I don't
really have any experience with it to give advice. Audacity is about
all I personally use for recording and editing sound effects and while
mostly accessible it still isn't quite as accessible as the Windows
version. As a result any kind of sound and music editing and recording
I do is often on my Windows 7 machine. If you have any other Linux
questions please ask me off list as this is drifting off topic, and
the only reason I answered this question here is music production is
part of game development.

Cheers!