vinux and sonar are very different from xp. and google uses ubuntu if the world was smart it would follow in google's footsteps and everyone would slowly switch to ubuntulike operating systems and android.

sent from my vinux4 linux laptop

On 09/12/2013 07:18 PM, shaun everiss wrote:
I have heard some success stories and such with upgrading, however not many blind people say they are even using 8 or likeing it or officiently saying or doing anything with it.
This excludes screen reader companies ofcause.
So either the new tech is so good they forget to tell us about it or its so crap that they are so ashamed to tell us about it or they have fogot about us, or simply they just don't care.
I am happy I was able to go to 7 the last probably accessable os so far.
xp would still be better interface wize but 7 is ok to.
At 10:25 AM 9/13/2013, you wrote:
Posts like this one are convincing. We get your firsthand experiences with the newer technology and why you think upgrading is worth it. On the other side, what games will not work with this platform? You've stated what we would gain. What would we lose? And what will this upgrade cost as far as the hardware we must buy to accommodate it? Thanks.

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:49 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] A Note to XP users

Hi Dark,

I am afraid any answer we give will not satisfy you, because you are
convinced you are right. So no answer we give will ever satisfy you.
You want to know why?

Its simple Dark has made up his mind that nothing but XP will ever bee
good enough for him. XP does all he wants so other people's opinions,
reasons, and personal experiences mean absolutely zero. So any answer
we give will mean absolutely nothing to you.

All I can say is that the rest of us have reasons, good reasons we
consider pretty valid, even if you don't consider those reasons valid.
It boils down to a personal opinion of value, and of course personal
value is not something that can be measured with facts, statistics, or
empirical evidence. Personal value is personal judgment, and I guess
from that point of view there isn't a thing we can say to sway you
towards a newer version of Windows.

As for myself there are lots of things I like about Windows 7. Unlike
you I actually find the Start Menu better laid out than in XP. All of
my personal folders like Documents, Music, Pictures, Downloads, etc
are on one side of the screen while the tree view containing my
programs is on the other. I like this newer look and feel and find it
easier to find things, because all of my personal folders are right
there in an organized list rather than being scattered all over my
desktop. My All Programs Menu is similarly organized. I have submenus
for Games, Office, Tools, Development, etc and under those are the
Submenus for each program in that category. So I have a great deal of
organization in Windows 7 I didn't find in XP.

The new Search feature is great. I can open the Start Menu and type
the name of a file, folder, program, etc and have it find it in short
order. I can often open the Start Menu and type "Winword" into the
search box and have it fire up Word. So the Search box doubles as a
type of run dialog which is cool. This works in Windows 8 as well as
Windows 7 making it unnecessary to locate any icon if you know the
name of the program.

Pinning programs to the Taskbar is another one of those features that
doesn't seem to be important to an XP user such as yourself, but I
personally love it. I can pin all of my favorite programs like
Firefox, Thunderbird, Visual C++, to the Taskbar meaning I can launch
them directly from the Taskbar rather than from the Windows 7 Start
Menu or the Start Screen in Windows 8. Even cooler there are hot keys
assigned to those programs meaning I can use them to jump directly to
that program or Window with a single keystroke rather than alt+tabbing
through all the open Windows on the Taskbar.

Another feature Windows 7 and Windows 8 has that frequently is useful
to me is being able to burn data DVDs without having to pay for a
third-party software like Nero. All I have to do is select the files
and folders I want to burn, drag and drop them on the DVD drive, and
click on Write Disc. That's both simple and actually saves money not
having to pay $75 USD for Nero etc.

A feature that I frequently use, when programming or dictating long
documents and emails, is Microsoft's speech recognition. Its built
into Windows 7 and Windows 8, and gets better every version that comes
out. Its superior to the Speech Recognition that comes with XP, and it
really helps save time when dictating a huge block of programming
code, dictating a long email, or whatever.You should try it some time.
Would you rather type a long email message or simply dictate it to
your computer by voice?

Something else I particularly like about Windows 8 is the introduction
of apps to the Windows OS. Apps are basically miniature programs that
run in the background all the time, and have a specific feature such
as displaying today's headline news, the weather, stock reports, and
various other things of that sort. Sure, I recognize apps aren't for
everyone, but for me personally I'd sooner have them than not have
them because I can just click on the weather app, for example, and get
an idea of the current temp, a weather forecast, and not have to go
online to look that information up.

Although, I don't have a lot of experience with touchscreens and
Windows 8 I know Windows 8 has touchscreen support, and NVDA 2013.2
works with touchscreens too. I fully expect the next desktop or laptop
I buy will have a touchscreen and I like the idea of simply pointing
at the screen and double tapping an icon rather than tabbing all over
creation to find it and then pressing enter etc.

Add to those features that Windows 7 and Windows 8 have better
security features such as User Account Control, Windows Defender,
Microsoft Security Essentials, I felt upgrading was well worth the
money I paid for it. That might not personally be worth it to you, but
it was for me and a lot of others.

So to answer your question on what you are missing out on is quite a
lot. However, those things you are missing out on apparently not
importent enough to you to justify upgrading. That's the difference
between you and I.

Cheers!