Hi Tom,

I couldn't resist responding to this with a little humor, and a prime example
of why Microsoft is so far behind. My responses throughout your message…

On Sep 12, 2013, at 2:49 PM, Thomas Ward <thomasward1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *snip*
> The new Search feature is great. I can open the Start Menu and type
> the name of a file, folder, program, etc and have it find it in short
> order. I can often open the Start Menu and type "Winword" into the
> search box and have it fire up Word. So the Search box doubles as a
> type of run dialog which is cool. This works in Windows 8 as well as
> Windows 7 making it unnecessary to locate any icon if you know the
> name of the program.
> *snip*

Mac OS X has had this feature since 2005. It's called Spotlight, and can be
invoked at any time with a single key command.

*snip*
> Pinning programs to the Taskbar is another one of those features that
> doesn't seem to be important to an XP user such as yourself, but I
> personally love it. I can pin all of my favorite programs like
> Firefox, Thunderbird, Visual C++, to the Taskbar meaning I can launch
> them directly from the Taskbar rather than from the Windows 7 Start
> Menu or the Start Screen in Windows 8. Even cooler there are hot keys
> assigned to those programs meaning I can use them to jump directly to
> that program or Window with a single keystroke rather than alt+tabbing
> through all the open Windows on the Taskbar.
*snip*

Mac has had this feature since about 2001 or so, can't remember the exact date.

*snip*
> Another feature Windows 7 and Windows 8 has that frequently is useful
> to me is being able to burn data DVDs without having to pay for a
> third-party software like Nero. All I have to do is select the files
> and folders I want to burn, drag and drop them on the DVD drive, and
> click on Write Disc. That's both simple and actually saves money not
> having to pay $75 USD for Nero etc.
> *snip*

Mac has had this feature since at least 2005…probably longer.

*snip*
> A feature that I frequently use, when programming or dictating long
> documents and emails, is Microsoft's speech recognition. Its built
> into Windows 7 and Windows 8, and gets better every version that comes
> out. Its superior to the Speech Recognition that comes with XP, and it
> really helps save time when dictating a huge block of programming
> code, dictating a long email, or whatever.You should try it some time.
> Would you rather type a long email message or simply dictate it to
> your computer by voice?
> *snip*

Mac has had this since 2012, and theirs is powered by Nuance, the same company
which powers Dragon Dictate.

*snip*
> Something else I particularly like about Windows 8 is the introduction
> of apps to the Windows OS. Apps are basically miniature programs that
> run in the background all the time, and have a specific feature such
> as displaying today's headline news, the weather, stock reports, and
> various other things of that sort. Sure, I recognize apps aren't for
> everyone, but for me personally I'd sooner have them than not have
> them because I can just click on the weather app, for example, and get
> an idea of the current temp, a weather forecast, and not have to go
> online to look that information up.
> *snip*

Mac has had this since 2005. They are called Widgets.

*snip*
> Although, I don't have a lot of experience with touchscreens and
> Windows 8 I know Windows 8 has touchscreen support, and NVDA 2013.2
> works with touchscreens too. I fully expect the next desktop or laptop
> I buy will have a touchscreen and I like the idea of simply pointing
> at the screen and double tapping an icon rather than tabbing all over
> creation to find it and then pressing enter etc.
> *snip*

Mac has had multi-touch trackpads, which are more practical for desk/laptop
use, since about 2008. Try holding your arms up for significant periods to
touch a screen which is vertically positioned in front of you,a nd they are
going to get very tired, very fast. Touch screens are not the best way to use a
PC. However, VoiceOver on the Mac will turn your trackpad into a virtual touch
screen, and, if you wish, you can use your Mac in a very similar way to how you
use your iPhone or iPad. VoiceOver has done this since 2009.

*snip*
> Add to those features that Windows 7 and Windows 8 have better
> security features such as User Account Control, Windows Defender,
> Microsoft Security Essentials, I felt upgrading was well worth the
> money I paid for it. That might not personally be worth it to you, but
> it was for me and a lot of others.
> *snip*

Mac has many similar technologies, including Gatekeeper, and a kill switch that
can disable malicious software remotely.

I just find it sad how far Microsoft is behind in technology these days. I have
some fun at their expense at times, but the industry is better with
competition, and Microsoft isn't that. Fortunately, Android is at least,
despite its infinite number of problems, a legitimate competitor.

You have to admit, it is funny that I can go through your whole email about the
features you're excited about in Windows 8, and most of those Mac users have
enjoyed for years. *grin*