Hi dark and all,
  RR 2 is indeed a total replacement for rr 1.
  However, I've spent a lot of time making sure the old tracks are still
functional, as you said a good deal of the best tracks were created by users
and I want to make sure we can continue to race them.
 The new track editor should bring us even better tracks, as it has been
totally redesigned to allow easy and quick editing of all track sections.
Frankly the track editor for rr 1 was clunky to use at best, and turned off
a lot of folks that would have otherwise enjoyed making their own tracks
  In addition, you can add power up rings to your track, allowing a racer to
pick up nitros and extra fuel if they can navigate an accurate jump through
the power ring, and grade angles have been added, which allow you to tilt a
section up or down, slowing or speeding up the racer on a section.
  These options have already shown some really interesting strategic
possibilities, as I've been working on a couple new tracks to take advantage
of the new features.
  For instance, if your going up a 45 degree angle hill, do you really want
to jump and slow down even more to grab that nitro?
  Likewise, should you grab extra fuel to allow you to burn more nitros, or
skip it and conserve your fuel?
  I want RR 2 to be about much more than just driving fast, for the more
complicated tracks, you will have to map out a strategy that leads to the
best lap times, which gear ratio to use, when to use power rings, when to
burn those precious nitros, should you use boost to get up a steep hill, or
save it to get your speed back up after a curve, its all pretty interesting
stuff, and will really reward those that want a challenging and immerssive
experience.
  With the new track editor system, you can alt tab from the game, make an
edit to your track, jump back into the game and check it out, allows for
much more creativity without a bunch of hassle.
  For those that have already purchased the beta, but aren't on the rail
racer list, make sure and join that low traffic list, lots of patches have
been sent out in the past few weeks with more to come
  Hope to see you on the track soon.
Che