Thanks Cara and Willem.

This is very helpful.
It is nice to have a library to look at for parsing sound files.
I'm also quite glad to hear I can play sounds and music non-positionally.
So I can set even a mono sound's source to be stereo and make it
non-positional, right Cara?

I think OpenAL and OpenAL Soft are 95% the same.
You can even rename the OpenAL Soft dll to OpenAL32.dll and use it as a drop in
replacement for OpenAL.
The only differences I read about were HRTF support and some extra filter
support.

If you think of any other useful tidbits, I'm all ears, smile.

Ian Reed