Well before this topic gets to old, aparently its only 20 bucks for those that want to develop for windows phone 7 and up right now to join the program. So in theory to make win mobile whatever accessable should be affordable to those that can.
I mean 20 dollars is about the price of a game.

At 10:33 AM 12/15/2013, you wrote:
Fun that you should mention that, Thomas: as a student I have been legally using Visual Studio Professional free of charge for a few years now. I never realized how crippled the Express edetion can be. Apple is definitely doing a good job providing their IDE for free, to anyone.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gamers [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2013 22:14
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] mac versus windows sales plus iOS question

Sabahattin,

What you say about Visual Studio Express is all too true. For a C++ developer and Win32 development it is seriously crippled. It is not just the lack of MFC but there are ATL libraries etc you don't get either. To be honest I see Visual Studio Express more for students, amateur developers, and anyone who needs a cheap IDE and compiler. If someone really wants to do pro game development they should upgrade to Visual Studio Pro to get everything they need. That will of course cost like $600 or so which definitely drives up the cost. The alternative is to go with Codeblocks and MinGW.

Cheers!

On 12/14/13, Sabahattin Gucukoglu <listse...@me.com> wrote:
> Regarding the development cost of Windows apps: as a Mac user I feel
> that Visual Studio Express is, while certainly useful for .net
> development, somewhat annoyingly crippled for Win32 development.  It
> doesn't have MFC or resource editors, for example.  You can somewhat
> work around this, though not without breaking the workflow pretty
> badly and possibly getting into legal trouble if ever you go
> commercial.  And the garden path solution is naturally very expensive,
> direct from Microsoft. So as a Mac user, I think the development costs are pretty well reined in, once you've got the box.
>
> Just wanted to chuck that in.
>
> Cheers,
> Sabahattin

---
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org. You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org. All messages are archived and can be searched and read at http://www.mail-archive.com/gamers@audyssey.org. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list, please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org.