Hi,
As far as virtualising on OS X, I keep an XP VM around for things like games. I
gave it 2 gigs of ram and, If I remember right, 2 cores. It does absolutely
nothing to OS X if it’s running. But to really compare performance, OS X  on
this particular macbook (2.7GHZ I7, 16GB ram, SSD), usually uses around 2-3%
CPU when I have my usual apps open like email, RSS, Twitter, Messenger, a
safari tab or 2. Battery life, 7 hours, or there a bouts. if I boot into
windows on bootcamp, it heats up very quickly, uses around 5-10% CPU idle, and
battery drops to about 3 hours.
Since we’re on the topic of Mac vs windows apps and all that good stuff, I have
to say that a lot of the time, Windows has better apps for cheeper. Case and
point, there is an app called arid. It’s just a youtube downloader. You paste a
link, select either mp4 video or audio only MP3, and convert. All this for an
incredibly low price of $20. On Windows, you have something like the free
youtube to MP3 converter, which also converts to other audio formats, and can
also process entire channels or playlists, a feature that I still haven’t found
in any mac video downloader. Another slightly annoying problem is Apple’s no
trial policy in the mac app store, where apps are usually $5-$10 and up, and
thanks to the not quite accessible UI frameworks like QT, you’re never sure if
something is going to read or not. Not saying it’s always the case (look at
downcast or iWork which are cheeper than anything on Windows and work either as
well or better), but more often than not I’ll admit to looking for a cracked
version for an app, testing its accessibility, and then buying it, or not,
depending on how that went.