have you thought of developing for android like the nexus4 5 and 7 and samsng devices?

using windows7 laptop

On 12/14/2013 12:11 PM, Thomas Ward wrote:
Hi Davy,

Well, for one thing to develop software for the Mac it requires
purchasing a Mac. Both hardware and software. It is not legal to buy
Mac OS X and run it in Virtualbox or in VMWare Player. Although, I
have heard it can be done if you have the proper hardware to do it.
Hardware is a sticking point for developers. Even if you want to
virtualize Mac OS, legality not with standing, there are hardware
issues to consider. I have read that if someone has an AMD64
processor, which I do, there is no way at all to run Mac OS X on that
machine in Virtualbox or VMWare Player. So there is really little
choice for me and I assume most other developers but to go out and pay
for a Mac PC with Mac OS X. That will cost at least $1,200 or more.

The cost of a Mac developer account just adds cost to the problem if a
person wants or needs that service. I think it is $99 per year, which
is cheaper than MSDN, but if a person doesn't have it to spend they
don't have it to spend.

One way, of course, to cut costs is to attempt to use a more
cross-platform language and tools like Java, Python, whatever. I've
developed my share of low cost apps in Java, love the language, but am
still not sold on using Java for developing accessible games
personally.

As for Linux I use the operating system all the time, and I do not
think adding the OS to my list of supported platforms would seriously
impact my development costs or anyone else's for that matter. For one
thing Linux is totally free, and someone can download Ubuntu, Sonar,
Vinux, Fedora, Debian, etc for free, and get all the tools and
documentation they need. Plus Linux can run side by side with windows
on the same machine meaning there are no up front extra hardware costs
involved in running and developing for the platform.

Now, if someone owned a Mac and wanted to port to Windows there would
certainly be costs involved, but it would be far less. One reason is
all they would need to do is go out and buy Windows 7, run it in
Bootcamp, and can get plenty of development tools for free. There is
Visual Studio Express, the free MinGW compilers, the NVDA screen
reader, etc to really cut costs in porting something from Mac to
Windows. Then, if they chose to use Java that would also be a very low
cost solution for the developer. So I believe going from Mac to
Windows is over all cheaper than going from Windows to Mac if the
person doesn't have the hardware and software required to begin with.

Cheers!