Hi Dark:

To be honest I have never tried Zero Site, but I take your point. I
guess others have tried creating random levels/missions, and of course
a number of accessible games do have add-ons of one kind or another.
Lone Wolf has about a hundred extra missions besides those that ship
with the game, Rail Racer had a track editor and various user created
tracks, and of course Top Speed had a number of user created add-ons
as well.

However, you are right. A lot of replay value and challenge comes from
good design mechanics. That's precisely where a lot of audio game
developers are very weak. Most of them are very amateur programmers at
best, and even worse many of them have never played a mainstream game
themselves so have no idea how to compare their work to a game like
Super Metroid or Megaman. They just don't have the prerequisite
experience to judge such a thing themselves.

Even for those of us who have played such games aren't necessarily
able to come up with some design mechanics as good as those in some
mainstream games. I am not saying it can't be done, it certainly can,
only that I have a college education, took classes on computer
programming, but I was never given a crash course in designing game
mechanics. I've read some game programming books, of course, but those
examples were simple examples to illustrate a point rather than to
educate the new programmer how to truly get the same design mechanics
of Mario Brothers, Megaman, Metroid, or any other classic game. I
guess it is left up to the developer to figure that out on his or her
own.

The point I'm getting at here is a educational one. There are plenty
of people willing to make audio games, and although they try they just
don't know enough to create a game as good as some other mainstream
games you find more challenging and more competitive. Not sure what
the answer is, but I think that is a fair assessment of the problem.