Hi Lindsay,

Actually, the Boss can't duplicate himself, but he has the special
ability to transport himself to anywhere else on the level. Meaning if
you shoot him he will vanish and reappear somewhere else  on level 9.
That makes it difficult to kill him and takes considerable ammo and
firepower to take him down.

As far as playing area 9 save your game before you take the teleporter
to area 9. That way if you die or get wiped out you can quickly revert
to your saved game and go back to area 9 without having to start over
from scratch.

HTH