Hi Dark,

Well, I am not actually creating a custom text adventure language. The
games will still be written in C++ and compiled using a C++ compiler.
What I am doing here is basically creating a framework so I can
quickly put a text game together without having to rewrite some of
this stuff from scratch. Basically building common classes and modules
that I'd need for a basic text adventure or text based game.

To give you an example in text adventure languages like Inform they
come with a number of built-in types such as Man, Woman, Animal,
Thing, Room, Door, etc. Basically, all the common things you'd expect
to find in a basic text adventure.

Well, I am doing essentially the same thing but in C++. I am creating
a basic framework for creating rooms, doors, people, creatures, etc by
developing a number of generic classes that do the same thing as what
the basic types in Inform do. In addition to that I am adding some
special classes such as an audio class that wraps FMOD Ex allowing the
developer to add sounds and music to the text adventure, and probably
an input/output module that prints text and can query the keyboard for
input.

As far as RPG mechanics etc goes I haven't done anything in that
direction yet. I think you are putting the cart before the horse so to
speak. I can certainly add RPG mechanics, skill levels, and experience
to the games if I chose but that belongs to a specific type of game.
What I am doing here really isn't designed for any specific game so to
speak. Merely a framework to quickly get up and running with some text
based games.

To give you a quick example in the early 90's there were a number of
Indiana Jones games created by Lucas Arts for Dos. As it happens they
had plenty of text so were fairly accessible with a screen reader.
Unfortunately, they will not run on newer flavors of Windows, and can
only be enjoyed using a Dos emulator. Its a case of either rewrite
them for a newer platform or keep a virtual machine around for the
express purposes of playing those games.

Since I am a skilled programmer I have considered rewriting some of
those Dos games, and making them available for people who are running
a newer flavor of Windows, Mac OSX, or Linux. It really isn't that
hard to do, and could be done with minor effort. So at this point I
haven't decided on weather or not I am going to create some roll
playing adventure like Sryth etc since that is, for the moment,
probably a lot more than I had planned on doing with this project.

Of course, I need not necessarily use text as my primary output. I
have considered using Sapi to read the text, and have menus where you
can perform the basic commands like get, put, examine, look, etc. Part
of me thinks that would be the better way to do it since one reason
text adventures put people off playing them is because the parsers
tend to be unwieldy to use. If someone is a poor speller, doesn't know
how to spell something, do not enter the proper command, etc they'll
get the typical "I don't know what you are talking about type
message." A menu would resolve that problem because all they would
have to do is scroll to the proper menu item and press enter.

The problem with menus is depending on how big the game gets it would
take forever to code a complex menu that has dozens of items to choose
from that may or may not be available at the time. Call me a lazy
coder, but I don't really want to have to spend a week writing a bunch
of if statements which checks if the item is visible, in inventory, is
in the room, etc and then add it to the proper menu. I can save myself
a lot of work by using strictly a text input system that checks if the
item is available and just do the action rather than putting it in an
ordered list.

Cheers!