Hi Philip,

That is absolutely true. The getchar function is about as basic and
standard as one can possibly get, and I am beginning to think it might
be the best solution for the problem. I have done some research on
writing custom getch functions and like you said they tend to be
platform specific or behave differently from system to system. So a
pseudo getch hack probably won't work.

Regarding SDL I was unaware SDL 2.0 had been released but that is nice
to know. Especially, since I just spent two years of my life writing
my game engine with SDL 1.2 support, and now am aware SDL 2.0 is out
and I need to update the engine. I see from information on the SDL
website there are some cool advantages to updating to SDL 2 such as
force feedback support for joysticks, a new audio wrapper for XAudio2,
added support for XInput, and a bunch of other goodies. So thanks for
the tip.

However, to answer your immediate question I was under the impression
the only way I could initialize keyboard support in SDL was if I
created a window and assigned keyboard events to it. I wasn't aware
you could poll keyboard events using SDL in a console window. I was
pretty certain I had to initialize a window which is why I hadn't
considered SDL for this console project. It would be nice if I I can
use he keyboard in SDL without initializing the video components and
draw a graphical window as that would make my life a whole lot easier.