That would depend on whether the game you're playing is anything like the
ones they are. If a game is merely a Star Wars game due to using sounds from
that franchise but is totally different from anything sighted people are
playing, then you don't really have anything substantial to work with. If
serious effort is made to make storm troopers behave like those in the
movies, or to take into account the physics of ships as described by
whatever central technical information exists to determine all that, then
you have more to talk about meaningfully. Sighted people could play
something like Pong or Topspeed2 or Sonic Invaders and compare it
meaningfully to the games they've played. I don't get a sense of playing an
actual Star Trek game when I play Tom's Final Conflict game. The sounds and
such just aren't enough for me to set aside what I regard as true Star Trek
gamedom. The combat is just too capricious with ships being destroyed
instantaneously. Listening to the shows, combat seems a lot more serebral
than that. There's at least time to take evasive action, try to reinforce
threatened assets, etc. I can wipe out a starbase with one ship's fire power
and that just doesn't strike me as very correct. If you play something like
Star Trek, A Final Unity as I was able to with my father's help way back in
my high school days, that game could honestly be called a Star Trek game.
They had the actual actors from TNG doing the voices. The story and dialogue
were excellent and so were the sound effects. The game play truly put you in
mind of the shows and did honour to the concept of Star Trek. Even the
strictly combat games like Star Fleet Command were done in such a way that
you felt that the gameplay better reflected the kind of thoughts captains
had to make while fighting battles. That kind of consideration is one reason
why people can be so protective of their franchises. They honestly don't
want their vision to be degraded by people who don't have a proper sense of
what it is and a proper respect for it. Nintendo did a masterful job of
quality control using such protective measures and did a lot to revive the
video game industry after the crash in the mid eighties. One of the problems
back then were that everybody was trying to get money from video games and
were making poor immitations of original games. The market was flooded with
inferrior quality games and people were turned off. We're certainly in no
danger of a crash now. If anything, we face the reverse problem where there
aren't enough different titles and genres covered well to pull in more
gamers. I think time and effort from developers will eventually fix that and
is doing that already slowly.
Michael Feir
Creator and former Editor of Audyssey Magazine
1996-2004
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]