Hi Tom.

that is a good point, sinse obviously iff a person is only working from a partial idea of a mainstream game, at best they will only come up with an audio convertion, and I do admit some of the more famous game mechanics are a little illogical.

For example, I could imagine someone who has never seen the dimentions of super mario brothers believing the play was more 1D, after all on the face of it the idea of someone who regularly jumps about threee times their own hight and comes down on monsters heads is a little whacky unless you've seen it working. This is one reason i raise such discussions anyway.

One other interesting fact I've noticed in audio games however, is analogue movement and mechanics are much less common, unless the game is! something like a racing game or Gma luna lander, the mechanics of player and enemy movement always seem fairly streight forward. For example in super liam, liam has one walking speed and one running speed which he reaches fairly instantly. Same goes for most of the enemies.

Even in a 1D game, varying the movement speed of enemies can be a major factor in difficulty, for example look at the bears in Q9.

If someone is making up their own mechanics for games, or indeed looking at what makes a good game, maybe it'd be worth starting with "how can I challenge the player's judgement by giving them several things to assess and considder" than "how fast can I make the player react to oncoming threats"

Beware the grue!
dark.