Hi Darren.

To be honest I've never really had the patience or care to play one of these through to reset anyway sinse generally the aspects I find interesting in exploration and empire building are just not ones it would be possible to enjoy with other players.

I do hope we'll see a single player space exploration and colonization game at some point.

star base orion actually looked like a really nice compromise that would work in either single or multiplayer, a shame the developer decided to be a complete and utter git, curse him!

I actually disagree that it'd be so hard to code a single player game like this because fundamentally as a single player you only have to worry about your own development and how various game elements effect it. For example rather than actually coding fully developed Ai empires with as many options as yours, simply code a number of races on a random generator, have them populate and move through areas of space and code hy they respond to you when you encounter them, heck there wouldn't even be a need to have them interact with natural deposits of resources in space the way you would, sinse if a race is say into mining it's only how their mining affects you that matters, ---- just have your ships find less minable asteroids in their teretory and have some programmed encounters with their mining ships.

Actually the hardest part would be creating the resource distribution on the map and various build and tech trees or the like, as well as finding sufficient win conditions for the game.

Aprone in castaways created a pretty awsome resource distribution and build system with maps, different buildings, and indeed moving enemies that interacted, it'd just be a matter of expanding those sorts of concepts.

Beware the grue!