Hi Dark,

Well, I agree that force feedback is definitely one of those features
that has never really lived up to its full potential. It is something
that a game developer could use to add a new and much more unique
experience to any game, but has largely been ignored or misused.
Therefore it never caught on as a very important feature. Mainly due
in part to a lack of creativity or insight on part of developers how
to use it to best advantage.

To give you example in a lot of mainstream games at most force
feedback has been used to vibrate the controller when the player was
hit or possibly jerk or vibrate when a weapon was fired. Force
feedback has seen its most use in mainstream simulation games to
simulate turbulence, problems steering, or vibrations when moving over
rough terrain. Other than that it has never lived up to its potential,
and was largely ignored as not being very important. However, I can
think of many non-essential ways in which force feedback can add
flavor to a game bee it accessible or mainstream.

To start with most PC game controllers can be programmed with the rate
of vibration, duration of vibration, and intensity of vibration
meaning there is quite a lot of potential for using force feedback for
several different things. Its not simply an on/off feature that feels
the same regardless of context.

In fact, back in the old DirectX 8 days Microsoft had a number of
custom profiles you could load up which set the initial rate,
duration, and intensity of force feedback for a controller for a
number of types of games. If a developer didn't know what settings
would work best with a particular game all he or she had to do was
load up that profile and use it. However, as of DirectX 9.0C Microsoft
has completely scrapped the force feedback profiles and they are no
longer a part of the developers kit.

However, the point here is that a game developer can use force
feedback for a lot more than vibration when the player gets hit or
vibrating when firing a machine gun. Imagine, for instance, playing a
Star Wars game and activating a light saber. besides the distinctive
hum of the blade as it powers on the controller will gently vibrate in
your hands as if holding a real light saber. When your saber hits
another saber the controller could simulate being struck or blocked by
another saber. It isn't something strictly necessary or essential for
game play but it would add a lot of realism for the player that
wouldn't be their otherwise.

Another use of force feedback technology is setting the rate at which
a stick can be physically moved by the player. Let's just say we are
comparing a knife swing to a broadsword. If we have a stick assigned
to slashes, parries, and thrusts a knife should be easier to use than
a broadsword. So a programmer can control the little motor in the unit
to make the stick easier or harder to move depending on which weapon
is being wielded. Plus use force feedback to make the controller
vibrate as being parried by an enemy weapon.

There are all kinds of little things like this a developer could do
with the device but just have not for some reason. Its not just audio
gamers but mainstream games that don't seem to be taking force
feedback too seriously and experimenting with the various ways the
technology can be used to enhance the game play.

Cheers!