Hi Charles,

Well, to begin with there are sometimes a technical reason for a
change, but a lot of times there isn't. Unfortunately, a lot of end
users aren't savvy enough to recognize the difference between the two.
In this case your question is a little of both.

Regarding issues with sound it has to do with the fact the audio mixer
in Windows was designed in the mid 90's for a completely different era
of audio hardware. Ten years later by the mid 2000's there was a lot
of newer better audio hardware with 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound support
that Windows could not handle because the mixer was out of date. So in
Windows Vista Microsoft upgraded the sound mixer, but in the process a
lot of older software like DirectSound and older versions of Windows
Media Player broke. Rather than upgrade DirectSound Microsoft replaced
it with XAudio2, and of course upgraded software like windows Media
Player with the required new audio support. So as far as sound goes it
has a purely technical explanation and was a mandatory upgrade. Its
just that games, particularly audio games, are still using things like
VB 6 and DirectX 8 which were designed before the audio mixer was
updated and are now broken as a result.

As for things like the ribbons there isn't a technical reason for why
they have largely replaced menus in modern Windows. I wasn't there
when the decision was made so can't testify as to why they were
adopted, but I can put forth a few ideas on the subject.

One thing is that software engineers are creative people by nature. We
like to create things, that's why we are programmers, and as a result
we are always looking for new ways to do things. We fly in the face of
the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality because we always want
to change something, improve it, and make it better if we can. So
obviously someone at Microsoft thought the ribbons were a good idea
even if many end users might not agree with that.

However, its more than simple creativity at work. Companies are in the
business of making money. They have to sell you something to stay in
business even if that something is just a fresh new look and feel with
little advantages or real changes. In the business world its call
"perceived obsolescence." Basically, a corporate way of milking a
product for all it is worth by making changes for change's sake.

For example, let's say a PC builder like Del releases a new PC in the
spring with an Almond case, a 19 inch display, keyboard, mouse etc.
Now in the fall they have their new PC ready to ship, but they have
lots of parts in their inventory from the spring run. What they will
do is come up with a shiny new black case, maybe a matching 19 inch
display, keyboard, and mouse and release their old model on the market
before their new models in order to get the most out of their spring
run even though it is virtually identical to their last run besides a
fancy new case and color change.  Anyone who wasn't technically astute
or savvy enough to compare specs might assume the new run is a brand
new machine when it is basically the same thing as the spring run with
a very minor makeover.

We see very much the same thing with software. If Microsoft has
troubles selling something like Office, don't have a lot of new
updates in it, they may try and change the user interface, give it a
new look and feel,in order to hopefully sell it as a new product. Even
though the changes are very minor.

 In short, there aren't always technical reasons for a change, and it
is just the developer's way of staying in business. You have to
realize something like the ribbons is do more to attempts to make
money than anything else. Companies of all kinds are always making
changes in the hopes they can continue to sell something old as
something new. It is a bit dishonest in ways, but nobody ever said
business was ethical or completely honest.