Hi Shaun,
There are quite a number of enemies in VEF 1. The aliens you were
thinking of are the Vorhsoth (v o r h s o t h.)
I haven't yet reached the Forge mission, but the Scavenger invasion
mission isn't to bad. If you can find your way to cargo bay 1 you can
basically listen for the sounds of the Scavengers and blast at will.
Although stray shots will hit cargo containers, causing them to explode,
and I am certain Captain Janeway would be less than pleased to know one
of her Hazard Team officers is randomly blowing up the ship's stores.
Thankfully, you aren't being graded on hitting cargo that just happens
to be in your line of fire. Get to close to some of those containers and
it is lights out.
As for the expantion pack Activision and Raven Software offers for VEF I
also think it sounds pretty stupid. Although, I had before you could
shoot and kill the bridge crew. Kind of a dumb idea, but I suppose for
the sick-minded a bit funny.
I don't have Elite Force 2, but based on your description I doubt I'll
be getting it. I like being on the Enterprise and all, but just isn't as
fun as being on Voyager and fighting the enemies in VEF.