Hi Scott,

Please see the email I sent to Willem for some of the details about the development process. In addition to that I'd add that a large portion of the code I use can be re-used across other Super Nintendo games. For example there is a fair amount of code for ripping tiles and sprites out of VRam. The code to rip custom rendered text is largely the same between Chrono Trigger and Lufia 2, though there are a few tweaks that had to be made. And the grunt work code for reading identification information from files and matching identified tiles with those currently on screen would all be the same across games.
So, a lot of code is reusable.

Regarding the things that change between games:
Each game needs it's tiles and sprites to be identified.
At this point I do not identify most tiles, just the text ones, but the rest will need to be identified for navigational aids.
Each game also needs it's custom rendered text ripping adjusted.
And needs custom scripting for announcing only relevant information when in menus.

So, in summary, it is still a lot of work for each game, but I've been doing my best to generalize where possible so it is mostly about a sighted person identifying tiles and sprites.
But some amount of custom code will always be needed.

I chose these games for 2 main reasons.
1. I enjoyed them in my youth and they have a lot of nostalgic value.
2. They are RPGs and either turn based or close to it, which gives a player more time to attain information in audio.

I also looked at Final Fantasy 6 and 4, but am unsure of how they render dialog text. Final Fantasy 6 also uses BG Mode 7 when riding a chocobo or the airship to give you a 3D first person perspective. BG mode 7 is a form of direct drawing to the screen coupled with some matrix transformations to get the 3D-ish perspective. That makes it more difficult, though I think not impossible, to transform it into navigational audio information.

I expect as the project continues I will work out more bugs and it will become easier to figure out these other RPGs.

This project is very much new territory and it's uncertain how many games can be made accessible.
But if one never tries, then it is certain.

Out of curiosity, are you a developer?

~ Ian Reed
Try my free games at http://BlindAudioGames.com