Darren,

Regarding Alter Aeon:  You play as a single character, but you can
have any number of characters in your account and can share/swap items
between them.  Players can form clans, group together, own boats, and
do a ton of other things.  The beginning areas are set up as a fairly
linear RPG to get people used to playing the game and learning the
commands, but after that it becomes a lot more free form.  The game is
extremely large, and it's been running for a long time so the game
world and mechanics are pretty solid.

Dennis Towne

Alter Aeon MUD
http://www.alteraeon.com