From: "Valiant Galaxy Associates" <v...@valiantgalaxy.com>
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2015 17:56
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Subject: [Audyssey] sounds and sizes of audiogames

Hi everybody from Aaron here at VGA.

I've had a couple of helpers on our projects ask me why I don't switch
my audio format for our sounds to ogg instead of just using straight up
wav format. Interceptor (nearing release) is 256mb when installed. The
installer is around 130mb. If I convert to ogg the size would be more
like 45mb or so.

I tested this, I converted everything to a high quality ogg format (I
didn't want to lose any more sound quality than necessary) and tried
running it.

Keeping in mind that Interceptor uses the same speech output script
(voiceover) that Traders of Known Space does, that is to say lots of
chunks of prerecorded speech, I made some discoveries that were
important enough that I decided I wanted to stay with wav format.

They tell me that ogg files decompress really quickly. Well this may be
true, but to my way of thinking, not quickly enough. I have latency
between the speech chunks that were not there with wav. Using the speech
file queue before end delay setting (as seen in TKS), I got rid of the
choppiness this introduced, but it left a slight sluggishness while
navigating menus that was not there originally for the first time a menu
item was encountered. However, after the first time hearing a menu item
it would be as responsive as we are used to with TKS is with its wav
files for all the times it was heard there after. Also, the second time
a sequence of files were used that were already used, the choppiness
eliminated with the speech file queue before end delay was incorrect. So
if it was choppy the first time you heard a string of combined
recordings, the next time it repeated that same string it would be less
choppy. If I fixed the queue before end delay so it wasn't choppy to
begin with, it would overlap itself for subsequent repeats. I can make
.ogg format work, but I don't really want to. My purpose for this mail
is to see if anyone wants to comment on this. How do you feel about an
audiogame that is half a gigabyte in size? It doesn't bother me at all,
in fact I kind of like seeing that one of our creations has actually
grown to be that large, but feel free to let us hear your side of it. I
probably won't change my mind in the end, but hey if everyone backs me
up on this I can say "well the community seemed to think it was ok so
that's what we did". *grin*

One obvious reason to do this is server space and server bandwidth, but
I don't believe we've got much to worry about there.

P.S., I did say Interceptor is nearing release. As in, development of
the first release version has been complete for a week or so now and we
are working on other things to be best prepared to deal with the various
aspects of doing commercial business. Once some last minute things are
out of the way we should be ready to roll. Just to be safe, I'd
hesitantly say that we will have it out before July 2015, but our hope
is sooner than that. It all depends on how long it takes this paperwork
to go back and forth and some minor last minute code changes. Another
game is possibly going to be release at nearly the same time as
Interceptor, I believe Jeremy has mentioned this on our news page at
http://valiantGalaxy.com.