Ok all so I have finally delved into this game.

I quite like it so far although I'm having a couple problems and I don't
know if they are bugs or simply lack of knowledge on my part.

Ok first question.

How can I find out which direction I'm facing? The speech doesn't seem to
tell me anything as to whether I'm facing north south etc. I get a noise
whilst the sun is up but that is all.

Secondly is there a way of telling what resources create what items? It
tells me how to make a fishing pole and that sort of thing but not much
else.

Ok next real question or problem perhaps,

If I make a character then log out and leave it for a good while, when I
come back to it I can't log into that character. It's like it doesn't exist.
I'm assuming my character has either been killed and therefore I have to
recreate the char again, or again I'm not doing something correctly in the
registration process but I can't see what I would be doing wrong because I
only get asked my char name password and whether you want your char to be
male or female.

If anybody could help with all this and maybe a few tips and tricks that
would be great.

Many thanks guys.