The only bad thing is that BGT is only available for Windows. Python, though,
is available for almost anything.

Sent from Outlook Mobile
>From Devin Prater
d.pra...@me.com

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 3:10 PM -0800, "Justin Jones" <atreides...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Does BGT play well with JAWS? If so, how much is involved in making it
play well? Finally, is BGT only for game development?

I figured that I had better start with a more reasonable goal, i.e.
trying to learn enough on how to code to try and write a character
sheet creator. If I can learn the knack of coding, then that would be,
I think, a first good attempt at a real project.

Down the road, as I indicated in my original post, I would want to try
to create a role-playing game. It frustrates me that sighted users
have a multitude of role-playing games that they can play, e.g.
Pillars of Eternity, Skyrim and so on, but we cannot. I have played
some mainstream role-playing games (it takes some work, but I can
manage) and that is why I wish to try and learn how to code. Put
differently, I can complain about the lack of games, or try and learn
how to code and write one. Even if I fail, i.e. I cannot learn the
knack of coding, then I can say that I made the attempt.

On 3/4/16, jacob Kruger  wrote:
> Justin, I am a programmer, and keep meaning to get around to sorting out
> a character sheet managent app - the flavour me and my friends play is
> called/based on runeQuest, so would want to sort out a more generic form
> of wrapper that could be used for multiple forms of RPG - as in, maybe
> use more generic forms of category, range, application/implementation
> categories, etc. etc. - hope am making some snese.
>
> Either way, besides web development, my other focus area is python
> programming, but, in terms of interface, besides command line, I am much
> more used to working with web development, and, for example, there's
> something called quickPHP that lets you use portable, stand-alone web
> server packages, which would mean could easily enough put together a
> web-page based bit of software, including databases, interface
> interaction, etc., but, without needing to spend too much time focusing
> on actual GUI renditions, or just work with command line consoles, etc.
>
> But, this is all just my take/opinion on this, based on a bit of
> background/experience, etc.
>
> Stay well
>
> Jacob Kruger
> Blind Biker
> Skype: BlindZA
> "Roger Wilco wants to welcome you...to the space janitor's closet..."
>
> Justin Jones wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I want to get into learning how to program, but I am a bit overwhelmed
>> as to where I ought to start. I have done some programming in the
>> past, but that was years ago, so I would just as soon as start from
>> the beginning, rather than attempting to recollect old knowledge on
>> the subject.
>>
>> There are two objectives that I have in mind, provided I can pick up
>> the knack of writing code:
>>
>> 1. The more realistic goal of creating a Dungeons and Dragons (5th
>> Edition) character sheet creator for us blind folks. There are ones
>> out there on the Interwebs, but they are either inaccessible or are
>> incomplete, i.e. they lack all available options for character
>> creation.
>>
>> 2. My ultimate ambition is to try and learn to create good
>> role-playing games for the blind. From what I have been able to
>> deduce, we have a very limited selection. Again, this latter reason is
>> more of a dream, but I am willing to attempt to put in the work to try
>> and realize it.
>>
>> This leads me to my questions for all of you who can best direct me:
>>
>> 1. What is a good programming language to learn? Where can I find the
>> necessary components to begin? What do I need to do in order to make
>> things accessible? Please note that I am a JAWS user.
>>
>> 2. What guides/books/tutorials ought I to read?
>>
>> Thanks in advance

Justin M. Jones, M.A.
atreides...@gmail.com
(254) 624-9155
701 Ewing St. #509-C, Ft. Wayne IN, 46802