Hello Gamehawk, and welcome to the list.

I believe I saw your topic on Audiogames.net (my handle there is Dark
empathy).

Either interface would be fine with me, however, I wonder if rather than the
program reading text files (presumably with Sapi or similar), it could play
sound files recorded in something like Wav, mp3 format.

This way, interactive fiction games with sound effects, in effect
interactive radio plays or acted stories with sound effects, could be
created.

It is true that currently, writing interactive fiction does require certain
programming knolidge. However, in terms of availability, there are literally
hundreds of interactive fiction games quite playable with screen readers
(not to mention the Win frotz interpreter that will output Zcode games
directly to Sapi), there are however very few fully audio adventure games in
that sort of style (only two to my knolidge, and niether was particularly
difficult).

For something of this type see:

http://www.cs.unc.edu/Research/assist/et/2005/SoundsLikeFun.html

I don't doubt that this would be harder to program, but I deffinately think
it'd be worth it.

Beware the Grue!