Hi Dark,
I'm sorry to here about your Sapi issues. In general I have never seen
any personal issues with Sapi. It's it possible you have installed
something which has damaged your Sapi installed on your local machine.
As for in game things like "Torpedoes away" I'd have no problem using
human speech for that. That would be no big deal. GMA Tank Commander
finds a nice balance when it comes to mixing human and tts voices.
When an enemy is hit, damaged, and destroyed a character voices the
action. That is great. For everything else the prerecorded AT&T voices
take over.
This is largely what I am thinking of in my games. What I hope to do is
cut out the majority of the over welming recording of numbers, frazes,
menus, status reports, etc.
If I can just give sapi a string of text to speak like
Storm trooper to the left. Distance 5 meters.
That is a heck of allot easier than recording every word in that fraze
and then building that string and process each wav file in it's proper
order. Which is major major work.